Okay, so you want to make the most your holiday by getting active. There are activities to suit everyone...
A leisurely stroll along the coast; or riding some of the best waves in Europe; or cycling the Camel Trail; or maybe “just one more” round of golf; or experiment with a new extreme sports; or land that perfect fish; and, don’t forget the family adventure parks!
Whether you want someone to get your activities organised for you, or you want to make arrangements yourself, some of our suggestions are below:
Multi activity centres can organize several activities at the same location for fun packed days.
- Porthpean Activity Centre
Canoeing, Kayaking, Sailing, Coasteering, Climbing, Archery, High Ropes, Mountain biking, Team Challenge days and much more. Also, an RYA recognised training centre. Most popular days are the multi activity days - phone 01726 72901 for an action packed, fun day for the children, or you can join in. Enjoy a “Dry Land” activity day of High Ropes, climbing wall, archery and mountain biking; or a “Wet” and fun day off Porthpean beach of canoeing, rock jumping, kayaking and snorkeling.
Wide range of rural activities in locations throughout Cornwall – Bodmin, Wadebridge being closest. Archery, canoeing, climbing, laser clay shooting, laser combat, mountain biking, fishing, climbing, camp craft, survival skills, etc.
- Siblybank Lake
Enjoy windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, wakeboarding, cycling and climbing. Try the high ropes and cable water combination.
- Harlyn Surf School
Offer more than just surfing with coasteering, paddleboarding and kayaking. British Surf School accredited and described by the Sunday Times as “the best on the north Cornish coast”.
- Penhale Adventure Centre Ltd
A large outdoor multi activity and team building centre based on the outskirts of Newquay. Canoe and kayaking, climbing and abseiling, coasteering, kite surfing, mountain biking, scuba diving, orienteering, and survival techniques.
Stunning coastal footpath and beautiful inland walks – perfect for relaxation. We have easy access to the north coast with its surf and towering cliffs and to the south coast of lush creeks and picturesque fishing villages. Bodmin Moor is also on our doorstep and this offers a “walk on the wild side”.
The All Saints Way, the ancient Celtic Saints route from Fowey to Padstow is close to Higher Menadew.
Please stroll through these links:
- Luxulyan Valley Walk
just 2 miles from Higher Menadew and a World Heritage site.
- Discover St Austell Walks
- South West Coastal Path
- Walking in Cornwall
- Walking Trails and Routes
recommended by VisitCornwall
Lovely quiet woodland in Bodmin
Cycling for all types to enjoy. Families will enjoy the safe, level and off road Camel Trail and Pentewan Valley. The Cornish Way, Coast to Coast routes, routes through World Heritage Mining, routes for enthusiasts through woods.
- Camel Trail - Linking Bodmin to Padstow is a great day out. Hire shops include Bridge Cycle Hire in Wadebridge
- Pentewan Valley. Riverside. St Austell to Pentewan. Hire at Pentewan Valley Cycle Hire
Lanhydrock Estate - Bodmin. National Trust estate and country house. Mainly for families and novices. Hire from the Cycle Hub 01208 265975.
- Goss Moor is a SSSI nauture reserve. Circular trail. Hire bikes from Screech Owl Sanctuary
- The Cornish Way comprises 180 miles of quiet, on and off road, routes from Bude to Land’s End. Includes the nearby Camel Trail, The Clay Trails and The Coast & Clay Trail. Eden Project, Heligan Garden and Lanhydrock House all on the route.
- Slightly further afield, the Mineral Tramways goes through some of the Mining World Heritage Area. Hire at Bissoe Tramways Cycle Hire
- For the keen mountain biker try Mobius
Golfers won’t know where to tee up first. Five golf courses within 6 miles and many more within easy reach and one of Europe’s finest championship venues, designed by Jack Nicklaus, is not far away at St Mellion.
- Carylon Bay Golf Club
- Lanhydrock Golf Club
- St Austell Golf Club
- Lostwithiel Golf Club
- Porthpean Golf Club
- St Mellion Golf Club
- Click here for a list of golf courses in Cornwall
A great way to experience the great outdoors or freshen up those skills on an indoor school. BHS approved establishments:
- Barguse Riding School - Indoor & outdoor schools. Jumps. Just 1m from Higher Menadew.
- Newquay Riding Stables
- Fowey River Expeditions - Escorted river trips in stable open cockpit canoes along the beautiful River Fowey, great for spotting wildlife. Beginners welcome.
Cornwall is one of Europe's top surfing destinations. With so many beaches to choose from, there is a wave for all weather conditions and for every level of surfer.
Choose a British Surf School accredited school such as:
- Harlyn Surf School - Described by the Sunday Times as “the best on the North Cornish coast.”
This cutting-edge extreme sport is a fusion of windsurfing, surfing, wake boarding and power kiting.
Water Skiing and Wakeboarding
Fishermen and women will be spoilt: miles of coastline, offshore wrecks, lakes, rivers and streams. In almost every port chartered boats will take anglers to the best sites around the coast.
- Innis Trout Club and Fly Fishery - Close to Higher Menadew, about 2 miles. Open all year
- Go-Fish - Has details of angling in Cornwall.
- Boats out of Fowey, Looe, Mevagissey
Ten Pin Bowling
- St Eval Kart Circuit - All age groups. 4 circuits. Great fun.
- Treasure Trails - Treasure hunt or murder mystery in town of your choice. Fun way of exploring.
Family Adventure Parks and Attractions
Wide variety of family adventure parks and attractions to suit all ages and tastes and tastes including:
- Cornwall's Crealy - Great fun, plenty to do - rides, indoor and outdoor play areas, animals, adventure and natural “realms”.
- Dairyland - Great for families with younger children. Animals, indoor and outdoor play areas, nature walk, pony and tractor rides, working farm.
- Holywell Bay Fun Park
- Lappa Valley - Steam railways etc
- Paradise Park - Tropical birds. Animals. Indoor and outdoor play areas.
- Newquay Zoo
- Hidden Valley Discovery Park - Unique. Challenging.
- Screech Owl Sanctuary
- Blue Reef Aquarium
- Heartlands - The UK’s first cultural activity centre with gardens, adventure playgrounds and World Heritage exhibitions. Free entry.
For further information on Cornish attractions please visit Cornwall Association of Tourist Attractions website.